40 Somethings

Halfway down the road, I'm looking both ways at once.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

One Way to Get A Job

A former co-worker from the Employment Department in Newport called yesterday to ask me if I was interested in a full time temp position. "What can I say," I asked with a laugh. "I'm collecting unemployment and I'm obliged to accept any reasonable part time, full time or temporary work. You know that!" Well, that's one way of reducing the unemployment roll -- the Employment Department can hire some of us deadbeats.

Interesting day, as it turned out, because I also had a job interview with the United Way. At the beginning of April, I submitted a letter of interest and my resume for a new position based in Newport, something called a customer service and volunteer support representative. Never heard a word until last week when a lady from Corvallis called and asked if I was still interested in the job. There wasn't a job description in the ad in the paper, so I said yes; my thought was to go and see what the position entailed. Even though it was only part time, the pay was excellent and there were benes. So, today I got all gussied up and went to meet with the United Way people.

Should I have gone to the interview after telling the gal at the Employment Dept that I was interested in the temp position? Yeah, sure, why not. Never hurts to practice the delivery, and besides, yesterday I found this cool little jacket on sale and couldn't wait to pair it up with my black skirt for a total professional interview package. Besides, no matter how I screw up, I am still counting on God to work out the details, trusting that this whole job search thing is not going to end up like the 25-car pile up at Talladega last weekend.

The United Way people were nice and there was definitely rapport. I felt good, confident, at ease. I even joked about The Dreaded Question. You would have been proud of me as I explained that my working life had been one challenging adventure after another and, thank you, I kind of liked it that way. The position sounded interesting with a wide variety of tasks -- everything from public speaking to coordinating volunteers and checking out grants for future funding. I think I was "on" because it sounded like a cool job, something I could get excited about. They were interviewing three people today and said they'd make a decision by next week.

Immediately after leaving the interview, I went to the Employment Department and saw the gal that called me yesterday. I had brought along the requested paperwork: a completed State application and professional references. The supervisor was there, looked over my paperwork, and asked me a few questions. The last sixteen months of my employment with DESI, I had a "cube" at the Employment Department, so I know the folks there and the working environment. The supervisor asked when I could start. "Whenever you want me." "Monday?" "Sure." She asked if I'd be willing to work a couple of days a week in Lincoln City. Again, I said sure, even though Lincoln City is a half hour north of Newport and driving the summer traffic there is like navigating one of the circles in Dante's Inferno. She asked me if I knew the iMatch system, the new registration system for job seekers, and I said I knew the job seeker side of it because I'd registered myself. All these answers seemed to be good ones. She's a petite lady, but she gave me a handshake like the former Marine she is. If all my references check out, they'll give me a call and it looks like I'll start Monday.

I'm kind of bummed about the United Way thing, though I realize that this temp position with the ED is the practical way to go. Besides, they may never call. The guy or gal that interviewed after me could have tons of non-profit experience and could have blown the panel away. I considered holding on to the paperwork for the ED until next week, just to see if the United Way called. But, in the end, I think I made the right choice. I can work up to 6 months in the temporary position. The way I've been praying, that gives me an idea, maybe, of how long it will take to sell our house. Think we'll sell in six months or less? Start your own pool.