Sixth Period
I had the sixth period from hell last year. Or at least it felt that way. I didn't think it could get any worse. Hello, and welcome to the new school year.
I have 18 students in my sixth period class this year. Eighteen sixth graders new to middle school, 12 of whom are ESE kids, kids with "special needs." Some of the needs are not complicated. They need extra time on a test or small group instruction. Some of the needs, however, are intensive. I think that the majority, if not all of these ESE students, have ADD or ADHD. That means they can't sit still, they can't focus, and they can't keep their mind on a single task for more than two minutes. They're wiggling and squirming for 55 minutes every day. Every day, one of them asks me what time school is over. One-forty, I say, same time every day. Among the bizarre behavior noted in sixth period this week: a kid tried to stuff the entire right sleeve of his sweatshirt (which he was not wearing at the time) into his mouth. No kidding. I couldn't believe it. I've never seen that before.
I'm not the only teacher who is dealing with a huge influx of ESE kids this year. One sixth grade science teacher has two autistic kids in the same class. One of them hit her in the chest this week and was suspended for five days. My autistic student hasn't gotten physical yet. He collects things off the floor to take home and make part of Bittytown, a model village made of debris he's collected since 2004. One day, I caught him taking the metal parts off pencils. His plan, he told me, was to string the pieces of metal up in "Bittytown" for "redneck yard decoration." He does have an imagination.
Someone said that our new superintendent is the person responsible for the push in our county to mainstream all these kids. Our ESE teachers no longer operate a Resource Room where students can go to finish testing or show up for extra help. Some of the students have a Unique Skills class where they can work on homework, but none of them have pull out instruction where they can receive one-on-one instruction at the appropriate level using strategies that work. It's been left to the content area classroom teachers to meet the special needs of these students AND teach them at grade level. Standardized state test scores, and the county's end of course exams, will reflect how well teachers have managed to teach these students grade level math, science, languages arts and social studies. Which doesn't really seem fair.
I had a meltdown this past week when the pressure became too intense. I received an email reminding me about upcoming training and I just broke down and started boo-hooing. It wasn't that I didn't want to go to the training, it was just that I already have to miss four days this nine weeks with yearbook activities and I couldn't see being away from my students for an additional three days. My mentor teacher walked in with perfect timing to give me a hug and listen to my tale of woe. She suggested a trip to the assistant principal to explain my predicament and ask for help finding solutions. The visit, which resulted in Meltdown #2, was successful. My supervisor was sympathetic and has arranged for me to have a student aide sixth period. She's also given me some other suggestions that will help ease the pressure.
I'm fortunate to be working at a place where people care for each other. I know that. I can't help but feel that someone was looking out for me when I landed this job. I guess that's more than a feeling. I know it's true.
I have learned how to use the digital camera for yearbook. Using the long lens, I can get right down on the field at football games. I've had several meetings with the staff and the ball is rolling. This weekend, I hope to finish setting up the pages for the book on the computer. The former adviser seemed to think I was doing well, so that made me feel good.
My husband is getting ready to make a trip out west to visit with his family. He'll be gone for two weeks, the longest period of time we've ever been separated since our marriage 6+ years ago. I feel like my right arm will start to shrivel and curl up when he goes. I'll miss him terribly, but realize the timing is good for him to visit.
My grandfather bought us a new dining room set for a house warming gift. We found a smaller table, only 30" wide, with a darker stain that will fit nicely, I think, in the space at the end of the kitchen. We've postponed the party until the weather turns cooler. Who wants to hang out on the porch when it's 90 degrees?
Today has been a beautiful one, plenty of sunshine and a frolicking breeze. I told my husband that I can almost taste fall in the air. We enjoyed coffee on the porch this morning. Looking at the lake and listening to the windchimes gave a peaceful start to our day. Thank goodness for the weekend.

<< Home