40 Somethings

Halfway down the road, I'm looking both ways at once.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Bye, For Now

Yesterday, we packed the kitchen. We have a small kitchen, but it took us several hours. I'm glad I'm not making this move alone; my husband has been a great help in the past weeks packing and throwing stuff into the pile in the garage. Today, we started putting some things into the motor home. It's finally starting to look rather barren in our little house. Tomorrow, the guys with the truck from St Vincent dePaul will come to take away most of our furniture, so we'll really be looking at some empty space. We're having dinner with friends and will probably crash in the RV when we come home. We pick up the U-Haul on Thursday and hit the road on Friday. It's hard to believe that all our dreaming, planning and waiting has come down to this -- our final hours in our little house on the Oregon Coast.

Today, we went to the Job Corps center where my husband was honored by the staff with a special coffee. Oftentimes, these things turn into good-natured ribbing, too mild to be considered a "roast." But, there was nothing but good things to say about my husband and the 15 years he worked at the center. The center director called him a "consummate professional" and that made both of us proud. We enjoyed seeing old friends and visiting over coffee and cake. I know that my husband will miss these folks, but today seemed to give him some sense of closure. He also had time to visit with some of his students in the welding shop. Amazing to see how quickly he reverts to "teacher" when he walks into the shop! There he was, giving the guys advice, telling them to work hard, and urging them to get the most out of the program. He will be missed. I'm so proud of him.

This will be my last post for a while. But, don't despair! When I return, I'll catch you up with all the news from our cross-country move, our Big Adventure.

Ta ta for now!