Learning by Doing
That's the best way, so they say. It's been an interesting experience, going through the EPI program and substitute teaching at the same time. Much of what I'm learning in the program, I'm experiencing in the classroom. Combining the two activities has given me the opportunity to think long and hard about what I believe and the kind of teacher I want to be. This is a good thing.
For example, my first professor at OWC made an impression on me when she said that the last thing you want to do with a kid who misbehaves is send him (or her) out of the classroom. That's exactly what the little miscreant wants. She gave us some positive ways to confront discipline issues and instilled in me the notion that, like Las Vegas, what happens in my classroom stays in my classroom. It's my responsibility to deal with discipline unless there's a full scale fight going on or a kid's health or safety is in jeopardy. So, it was interesting, while sitting around the communal table in the teacher's lounge this past week, to hear one of the long-time teachers say, "Yeah, that little kid acts up and WHAM! he's in Student Services. I don't take any crap from him." Several others tossed in general agreement about calling for back-up whenever kids misbehave. I wondered if I'd gotten it wrong or if, perhaps, actually being a teacher would change my mind on the subject of discipline.
For another class, a young man walked into the room and was immediately confronted by the teacher who had been in the lab the hour before me. "Johnny, don't you dare sit in the middle section! Okay, young man, that's it. I'm calling Student Services." And she did. And a short, mean guy came in and escorted the student out of the classroom. Sometime later, the guy called me and asked if I wanted to fill out the paperwork. I told him I didn't have a problem with the student, and said that he needed to speak to the teacher who had the room before me. I gave him the extension. What was that all about? They do have a law here that you can't suspend students from school for truancy. Duh.
I haven't had any serious discipline issues . . . yet. I think I'm a fair substitute for the real thing. I try to tow the line without being too rigid. I find that walking around the classroom and sitting with the students to be an effective way to maintain a presence. I have yet to work on my "teacher look." That's in our textbook, by the way. I have found that if I treat the students with respect, I'm likely to get the same. One way of shouldering my embarrassment for not knowing each one of them by name is to address them as "ladies and gentlemen" and that seems to work okay. I remember the surprise on the face of one kid when I asked him to come up to the desk. I had just been on his case for doing something he shouldn't have been doing and he came up to the desk with fearful trepidation. When he got there, I asked him what time the bell would ring and if we were on a special schedule for the day. I don't want to be a teacher who holds a grudge. If you screw up in my class, let's acknowledge the fact and move on. Otherwise, no one learns.
This was FCAT week at Crestview High School. Monday through Wednesday, I spent most of the day with a handful of other teachers and tutors supervising students who weren't testing. We all hung out in the auditorium and wasted four hours a day. The school had recruiters come in, one each day: Air Force, Army and Marines. This area is very supportive of the military and I'm sure those guys fill their quotas. One day we watched National Geographic Specials, despite one student's clamoring for The Lion King. On Wednesday, someone relented and brought in Old Yeller. This is one of the problems of a school year that focuses on standardized testing. How many instructional days are sacrificed? I wouldn't say what went on in that auditorium was educational.
Things are going well. I think that working as a substitute while going through EPI was a good idea. It's flexible and I still have time to do my schoolwork. Speaking of which . . . that's why I'm at the library today. Ed is home waiting for concrete people to come. Yesterday, some guys showed up to dig a trench around the dry line. Ed has been planning where the water and sewer lines will go, and is getting excited about finally raising something up out of the dirt out there. It's a warm, spring day here. A shame to be in the library, really. I'll finish up and make good on my escape.

<< Home