40 Somethings

Halfway down the road, I'm looking both ways at once.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Jenn's Visit

My sister Jennifer was down for a visit this past week and we had more fun that a barrel full of monkeys. Jenn is 11 years younger than I am, so there is always that strange disconnect in my mind between the squirming little pixie whose diapers I used to change, and the full grown married woman that now exists in the world. She still has those slanted green eyes, though, a sweet smile, and the curves mother and grandmother gave both of us. It was good to see her.

On Sunday, my husband took the bass boat out on the lake and we went along for a spin. At first, I was sitting in the speeding boat with my arms raised like I was on a monster coaster, then I had to stand up and nuzzle my head into the wind. With a little encouragement, I got Jenn to stand in front of me. She was uncertain, a bit anxious, but once or twice up and down the lake, and she was smiling from ear to ear, lifting her own hands. Then, I remembered that she was still my little sister. I try to not to act like Big Sister or Mama Substitute when we are out in the world, but times when we are alone together, I lapse. There I was at the front of a speeding bass boat with my arms around my sister. She was safe. We both were.

On Monday, we went to the Florida State Caverns in Marianna and enjoyed a cool cave tour. Jenn took tons of pictures with her digital camera and I uploaded a few to my computer when we got home. We had a picnic at the swimming hole and waded into the refreshing spring water. She and Ed went fishing later in the day and came back with a string of brim and bass. Jenn was so excited -- turns out she had caught most of the fish on the string. Ed said she didn't want to quit fishing, but he kept thinking about the chore of cleaning all those fish. He finally persuaded her to call it a day. I have a picture of the two of them proudly displaying their catch. We had fresh-out-of-the-lake brim for dinner. If I'd only caught fish like that when I went out with Ed, I might be a fisherwoman today. Alas.

Wednesday, Jenn and I loaded up the car early and headed for the beach. The public beach in Destin wanted $4/car admission, so we drove on to Okaloosa Island, the white dunes and sea oats on one side, the sparkling bay on the other. We toted our stuff down to the sand, then raced into the water. It was a beautiful day at the Gulf, blue sky, cool offshore breeze, water just the right temp. We doggy paddled, squatted, body surfed, and bobbed a good hour. Then, I went to lay on the sugar white sand and read a few pages in my book. Jenn didn't want to get out of the water. Just as I remembered, she's still a water baby. I'd look out from time to time to see her bobbing on her butt with her feet out of the water, just kicking back in the salty Gulf. She looked for crabs, examined fish, made a sandcastle by dripping syrupy sand between her fingers. Watching her brought back all the times we had come to the beach as kids. If we had gas in the car, we could bring our own sandwiches, use nature for entertainment, and fill the day without spending a dime. It was a good way to be a kid, a good way to grow up. Along about 10 o'clock, the beach starting getting crowded. I managed to get Jenn out of the water by 11 a.m. and we were off to have pina coladas and boiled shrimp on an outside deck with a view of the water.

When Jenn left yesterday, my husband said that he missed her. Me, too. She and her husband Randy will be moving to Great Falls, MT in a month. Randy finished his training with the Air Force this week and they will be starting over at a new post. Montana seems so far away. Jenn will come and visit us again, staying in the new house next time, and I think Ed and I can make it up to Big Sky country. Ed can bring his fly rod and teach my sister how to fly fish.