Answers May Vary
I'll never forget the kid who got caught cheating. The teacher had no doubt about the dirty deed because one of the kid's answers was "answers may vary." Try explaining that.
The good news is we now have a satellite Internet connection out here in the sticks. No more trips to the library to check e-mail or catch up on the old blog. Now that I have the convenience of a connection here at home, I hope to be able to post more frequently. For better or worse, my blog will probably look more like a diary than collection of lengthy essays from now own.
I just finished my first full week of school at Davidson. It's been an interesting week, full of ups and downs. I realized early in the week that the six months I'd spent in the EPI program didn't really prepare me to be a classroom teacher. I don't think anyone can "teach" you to be a teacher. Every day I go into the classroom, I realize that learning to teach is a process, something that will take time. I don't expect to be a good teacher this year, but if I stick with it, maybe I'll be a fine teacher one day. I think I will.
During one of the low points this week, feeling overwhelmed and exhausted, my mentor teacher and new friend at Davidson said to me, "You're intelligent and you care about the kids. With those two things, there's no way you WON'T be a good teacher." Thanks, Missy, I needed to hear that. I've had some problems with students this week, but mostly it's been the administrative tasks that have ganged up on me. I haven't been on the electronic gradebook yet. I don't know the first thing about AIP/PMPs and IEPs. The in-service "training" (25 minutes after school) has been a joke for someone who is not only new to the District, but to the profession as well. I'm still figuring out the attendance cards. Like I said, I'm not just learning a new job, it's a whole new world.
I finally got into my portable the day before school started. That was the day I realized what tough, strong people teachers are. The custodian dumped one load of books in my classroom and I hauled out all the rest. Missy helped me set up the classroom and fellow teachers blessed me with posters for the naked walls. I spent the day traipsing back and forth between the school and my portable. I was hot, sweaty and exhausted by the end of the day, but by some magic trick, I felt I'd managed to join the brother- and sisterhood of teachers. The day before school was an incredible mix of physical and emotional stress and unbelieveable excitement. The next day, I would meet my students for the first time. Would they like me? Would I like this job? Would I be any good at it? I thought I would, but for the first time I realized what a gamble I'd made on starting on a new career at my age. More than anything else, I wanted the odds to pay.
The first day I showed up for pre-planning, July 27, I discovered I would be teaching language arts this year, not social studies. Good news for me, and the kids. I started the same day as Patty Kelly, a veteran teacher who had just relocated from St Louis. Davidson has five "new" teachers this year; I'm the only one new to the profession. Patty was awarded the old drama room for her science classroom, and two of the other "new" teachers are out in portables like mine. I met Missy Jones my first day at the school and followed her around, asking questions and listening to everything she could tell me about being a teacher. She's a veteran with more than 20 years in the District. Missy says she started out at Laurel Hill, a K-12 school, and taught there for 16 years. Her first year, she had 6 preps (one for each class), sponsored the newspaper, fundraised for the yearbook, and helped with the jr/sr prom. She still remembers what it's like being a first year teacher. One afternoon this week, she spent an hour with me after school showing me how to set up my official gradebook. She's been a tremendous source of encouragement.
There's a good atmosphere at Davidson. Everyone I've met on the staff enjoys working there, and they've told me that it's a great place to work. They are proud of the school and their students. Mr. Sexton who came to Davidson from a school in Ft Walton said that this school has the reputation of being "hard to get into" when it comes to hiring. I've had chances this week to count my blessings. I hope to be at Davidson for a long, long time. Despite the newness of the job, I can see myself calling this place "home" in terms of work. The commute isn't bad either, about 20 rural miles each way. I'm so glad that I didn't get the job in Ft Walton, even though I was disappointed at the time. Things have a way of working out.
I'll write about my students another time. I did get my first note from one of them this week. Here's what it said: "Dear Ms. Parker you are so sweet to me in this classroom. I like your class best because you undertand about our needs and why we don't have our homework and stuff like that. I really do. You are the most beautiful and loveable, sweetest, I ever met. One everyone is going to love you so much. I really appreciate you so much. I hope you have a blessed day." My husband says she's a brown noser. Maybe, but it was a nice note. We'll work on the grammar in class.

<< Home