40 Somethings

Halfway down the road, I'm looking both ways at once.

Friday, January 02, 2009

Hello?

It's been so long since I've written in this blog, I wonder if there's anyone still reading, or if there's a reason to keep writing. We'll see.

I spent the summer looking for another teaching job. I signed on to teach a college prep class at Northwest Florida State College, and I started that towards the end of August. For all the times I moaned about not knowing grammar, wouldn't you know I ended up teaching a grammar and writing class? Sixteen weeks was a long semester, and the pay wasn't all that great, but I finished the class in mid-December with 13 of the 20 students I started with. It's something to put on the resume, anyway, and I did learn some grammar.

I also landed a full time teaching job at a rural K-12 school in a neighboring county. I'm teaching 7th grade language arts, 9th grade English, and a 7th grade reading class this year. The first semester has been tough -- working two jobs and adjusting to a new school -- but I have hopes that the second semester will be better. I like the sense of community at the school, and it's kind of cool to see kindergarteners trooping by my window each day. I've met several sympathethic new friends, and they have been a source of encouragement.

My husband and I just returned from a holiday trip to California to visit my family there. We enjoyed spending a week with my mom and step father, and I got to see my sister and nephew. I was sad, however, that my brother couldn't make it out this year because of work commitments. Maybe next year, or maybe I'll get him down this way for a visit. The highlight of our trip was a day trip to Hearst Castle. My husband is a huge fan of older homes, and the Castle is a doozy. We had a swell trip.

Since I don't know if I'll keep up with this blog, I'll keep this post short. If there's anyone out there, I just wanted to let you know that 1) I found another teaching job and 2) I'm still struggling and learning how to be a teacher. Maybe I'll write more later.